Sunday 23 November 2014

A father-daughter bond: one photo at a time



My Dad, who doesn't often email me, recently sent a link to this Ted Talk entitled 'A father-daughter bond: one photo at a time'. I love a juicy Ted Talk, and this one touched a heart string for me; we moved away from my family in order to spend more time with my family. As a parent, we're drawn to doing what's right for our kids; we moved to Dubai in order to be together as a family and for my daughters to spend time with Daddy everyday.

I watched this several times over, scribbling notes as I lapped up Steven's evocative tone and studied each of the 15 photos. He made some very poignant observations, which I've written here to have as a reminder, to me and to anyone who has to remind themselves to "get in the shot..."

- Every October Steven and his daughter get together in New York, not only is that a very cool place to meet, it's also making the time for a father-daughter trip
- Everyone can relate to the familiar ritual of handing over a camera; to a stranger, to a friend or to our children (if you've never done this, do it, it's a great way to see life through their eyes)
- Freeze time and give ourselves time to reflect and look at the changes from year to year
- Its so true that our perspectives change as we go through life
- See life through your children's eyes...
- Cherish and anticipate (2 of my core values in life)
- Making memories and consciously creating memories
- Get in the shot! How many photos do you have of you?!?
My thanks to Steven Addis for helping me to remember why we made the move from England to Dubai, and to my Dad for sharing this. Remember that trip we talked about to Japan Dad? Maybe more of a once in a lifetime trip rather than an annual one!

No comments :

Post a Comment